Baptism marks the beginning of a Journey with God which continues for the rest of our lives, the first step in response to God's love. It is a joyful moment when we rejoice in what God has done for us in Christ, making serious promises and declaring the faith. The wider community of the local church welcomes the new Christian, promising support and prayer for the future. As you pray for your child, picture them with yourself and the whole Church throughout the ages, journeying into the fullness, of God's love.
How do we arrange a Baptism?
- Call or email Steve, the Vicar. He will contact you and arrange a visit at your home as soon as possible.
- Come to any Sunday morning service and to a 30-minute Baptism Briefing. The Briefing is after the 10.45 am service each second Sunday of the month.
- Baptisms are held either at the Old Church or at the Christian Centre. Fix a date at the Baptism Briefing of with the Baptism Visitor who will call you after the Briefing.
What happens after the Baptism?
- At the 10.45 am service on the Sunday following your child's Baptism, they will be formally welcomed into the Church.
- We will send you further information about activities in which you may be interested.
- We hope that you will build a regular pattern of bringing your child to Church to forfil the promises you make at the Baptism service.
What about Godparents?
- All Godparents must already be baptised.
- They will have an on-going role in your child's life journey to help them grow in their Christian faith, so bear this in mind when you consider who you ask.
- We encourage you to invite three or four people to be Godparents.
How much does Baptism cost?
- There is no charge for Baptism. It's like God's love!
How will the Church help us?
- We offer lots of activities to help you keep your baptism promises and bring your child to Church
- The Alpha Course is ideal if you have questions about your faith, and we are always available to talk.
St Alphege, Seasalter ~ Making disciples of Christ,growing the church of God